I continue to search for the perfect soup. Sometimes I’ll make one and think ” This is the best one I have ever made!” And then, I make something new and it is even better than the last. It is not me, it is the in season vegetables. Seriously though!? So many to pick from right now and soooo much color. It is sensory overload and cooking is so fun.
I’ve been playing around with my Insta pot lately this recipe is for the Instapot. If you would like to make it on the stove, no problem I’ve post an adaptation in the notes at the bottom.
- 2 Sticks of celery
- 1 medium white or yellow onion
- 1 large or two small carrots
- 1/2 of a pepper, any color will do
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/4 c of lentils
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper
- 1/8 tsp piri piri peper
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- juice of one small lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Add olive oil to insta pot along with veggies. Set to “Saute setting” Cook for 5 min
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Close lid, cook on Soup setting for 15 min.
- If you do not have a soup setting, Cook on Manual for 12 min.
- Release pressure, remove lid and enjoy.
- Great topped with
- Green onions
- Nutritional Yeast
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Piri Piri and Chipotle can be substituted for other pepper spices on hand. This soup is however best with a nice Smokey flavour
- For more of a Stew, 1/2 a can or more of tomato paste may be added
- To Cook on the Stove: Cook vegetables, as suggested. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer until lentils are done to your desired taste. Likely about 30 min.
- If you are watching fats eliminate the olive oil and butter completely and saute in broth.
- TIP: I used dried chickpeas in my recipe as it was all I had on hand. I cooked those in my instapot as well. To Do that as quickly as possible. Do a quick soak in your instapot. Rinse beans and cover with water cook for 2 min on high. Release pressure. Rinse Beans in cool water. Return beans to pot cover with 6 C. of water. Cook for 14 min. Other recipes may tell you to cook them longer. dont. they will be overdone.