I stumbled upon a winner last night while watching Clemson Beat Auburn. Go Tigers! I was bit understandably distracted. Both by the busting bracket and the win!
Sorry for the limited number of pictures throughout the instructions. The next time I put this together, I will update! Fool your Meat loving friends with these babies. They will never know. Simple. Quick. And they hold together like a dream on the grill.
For Burgers you will need:
- 1 15 Ounce Organic 3 Bean Blend beans – I used Simple Truth
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper
- 3 green Onions
- 2 Cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 pickled jalapenos ( Optional but awesome)
- 1/4 c sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 egg or egg substitute equivalent
- 2/3 cup of breadcrumbs
- Spices: 1/2 tablespoon chili powder. 1/4 tsp piri piri. 1 Tsp of cumin
- Note: Piri piri can be swapped out with 1/8 tsp of cayenne
Instructions – to assemble:
- Open beans – Rinse – and drain. Blot dry with a paper towel. Properly drying will keep your burgers from being mushy!
- Add beans to medium size bowl. Mash up beans with a fork. If you like – leave a few larger beans for texture. I think it is nice to do! 🙂
- Next, in 1 or 2 Cup mini chopper add: Red bell pepper, jalapenos ( if using ), garlic, and onion: Mince to small. With your hands over the sink squeeze out excess water and add to bowl.
- Add spices, egg, nuts and bread crumbs.
- Form burgers.
- Allow settle and to rest in the fridge for at least 15 min before grilling.
- Makes four nice size patties
- Burgers can be grilled on the BBQ, on a grill pan on the stove top or baked.
- I would recommend grilling as they really do grill well!
- Grill about 5 min on each side on a well oiled pan/grill Med heat for a nice sear
- If baking 375 is a good temp for about 20 min, flipping mid way.
- Cripy lettuce
- Dairy free cheese
Sweet Potato Side
For Fries – serves two
You will Need:
- 1 Med Sweet Potato
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Sale/ Pepper
- Corn meal
- Slice in 1/4 inch slices – you will want these thin so they will crisp up
- TIP: To make it easier to cut up your potato, slice a thin layer off the bottom to give yourself flat cutting surface
- Once you have fully sliced up all fries place into a bowl
- Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil – sprinkle with salt pepper and garlic
- Place of baking sheet in single layer
- Lightly dust with cornmeal – this helps absorb moisture and crips them up!
- Bake at 425 – 15 min, turning , midway
- Leave in a bit longer if needed!~